Friday, April 15, 2011

7 months young update ...

Looks like this birth story is getting published in Down to Birth magazine

here is the update I have just sent the editor:


Update


After 2 months in intensive care and another 2.5 months in special care we made it home.


Moss and Kutura are healthy and happy at home. The long term outcome for these babies is not yet known, but then again, nothing ever really is. Both babies received much needed blood transfusions, had various interventions of both minor and major sorts. The more compassionate of the staff helped me with interventions while in kangaroo cuddles, and later on the breast. I was present for a brain tap for Moss, which is a sterile procedure and usually a no-no for parents, and I know Moss was all the better for my being there, of course. When Kutura's ventilator was removed after his open liver biopsy and hernia repair, I then held him to my chest and he recovered on me for 4 hours. A first in this unit staff later told me. I also used cloth nappies for 3 months full time, and a while part time before that.


I share this information because a 'standard procedure' needn't be if it doesn't suit the individual situation, and in my case it rarely did. I feel more parents would feel the same way if the system didn't have itself so ingrained in staff routine. When reminding staff of this some got angry and sought to pull rank over me, of which I would remind them I am the parent and reclaim my space cribside. This took place in varying degrees depending on my boys conditions, and the facilities are not set up for the 24/7 kangaroo care I wanted to give, but we managed to compromise much of the time. Where there was no compromise I fought, I swore, I called meetings with head nurses and doctors.


The NICU is an environment we don't usually plan for and as homebirthers can catch us by surprise. I found myself fighting for time and space with my babies and to take initiative over their daily care and complex medical decisions. I was filled with adrenalin and birth magic. I used those hormones to keep me afloat and focus on my babies. I didn't let anyone tell me 'no' and that is a more difficult task than I had imagined. An environment full of coercion and fear; and the magic of modern science helping such tiny babies live. But it was the love of family and the support of community that enabled them to thrive, both in hospital and now that we are home even more so.


If reader of Down to Birth wind up in this setting I am happy to be contacted for guidance and support; actually I would be honoured. The first thing I would remind you of, is to never let anyone undervalue the love a woman has for her babies.


Suzi 4th Feb 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment